Saturday, July 4, 2009

In/Out walls

Hey guys. Ok so for the In/Out walls I was trying to keep within the themes we talked about (metropolis/1984/factory etc) I quite like this image:

I really like the grids and the industrial look of this, I though a shelving system that looked a bit likea big grid system for both the 'In' and 'Out' would look pretty cool, but it would be pretty hard to put up, and the work would be a bit shut off. I'm guessing everyone wants both the 'In' and 'Out' work to be on show as much as possible. I think Matt's idea of doing the evidence bags containing objects/work would have the same problem.

I did a few sketches, and the thing I thought worked best was if we suggest the sort of industrial grid thing using graphics, like this (the bottom drawing- not the top one):The 'In'and 'Out' walls would both have matching grids, shown with graphics (tape? paint? - I don't know) I like the idea that at the start of the exhibition each person's Out 'box' would only have their project description, and a few photos of final pieces etc. and by the end it will hopefully be spilling out and they will all mix together. I much prefer the way it looks without shelves, but I think that because there are going to be 3d objects on show we really need them. The other option is to not have shelves and photograph+print out all 3d things we produce during the time there. What does everyone else think?

Oh yea, and I worked out that everyone gets roughly half a metre squared on both the in and out walls - however this is based on the idea that we won't use the bottom bits of both walls - because if the table is there and people are sat around it and there is work on the bottom row I guess people wont see it.

1 comment:

  1. yeh i think the worry is the work'll look cut off if we put things in a cube-shelf like grid system. I envisaged it far less organised, ( obviously the shelves are likely to be put up in a organised fashion anyway) but i think free standing ('hanging'-like what we've previously sketched, might work just as well...) they'll look really ace suspended across an irregular layout on the wall.

    As the wall is going to be accumulating all sorts i things it'll add depth and allow them (the 'final' work) to be differentated from new outcomes.

    ReplyDelete